JACK JENNINGS HISTORY TRAIL

There are three loops in this trail, and all start near the intersection of South Jackson Street and West Lincoln Street, in the southwest quadrant. Lookfor the green sign in the corner of the First United Methodist Church parking lot, the one defined by the historic-looking wrought iron fencing, where you see this sign:
6. LIVERY STABLE The Field and Reynolds Livery Stable was located here in the 1800's. During the time from 1863 to 1867 when Tullahoma was occupied by soldiers and under martial law, troops were often gathered at this site by their commanders for instructions and deployment..
A. SOUTH LOOP
Walk north to the end of the block, at Lincoln Street. Turn left and go down the hill to the bridge in front of the tannery building to see the following sign:
7. TANNERY SITE Tannery operations were conducted at this site along Rock Creek for more than 100 years, beginning in the 1800's. During the 1920's it was Lannom Tannery, which later evolved into Worth Sports, Inc., a national leader in the production and design of baseball and softball balls and bats, led by Charles Parish, then his son John, then his grandsons Charles, Robert and John.
Go back up the hill one-half block, turn right on Jefferson Street and go up the hill. Then go 1.5 blocks to see three signs:
3. BRAGG HEADQUARTERS Here in 1863 stood a fine stone summer home built by sittting U.S. Supreme Court Justice John Catron. In January, 1863, it became the headquarters of CSA General Braxton Bragg and his Army of Tennessee for six months, following the battle of Murfreesboro, and before the Battle of Chickamauga. The Union commanders and Provost Marshalls here used it as their headquarters here from 1863 to 1867.
4. JEFFERSON DAVIS In 1863, Confederate President Jefferson Davis came here to visit his friend General Braxton Bragg and the Anmy of Tennessee. Many generals serving under Bragg, including Hardee, Polk, Breckinridge, Cheatham and Cleburne, were most unhappy with Bragg's battle decisions, leadership and retreats, and wanted him removed ftom command by Davis. Davis elected not to remove Bragg until after Murfreesboro, Tullahoma, Chattanooga and Tennessee as a whole were lost by Bragg's army.
5. MILITARY OCCUPATION The Union Army of the Cumberland seized control of the city and railroad here without a battle around July 4, 1863, when Bragg retreated to Chattanooga. The next four years here were a period of martiaJ law, brutality, devastation and terror for local families. All business ceased. Provost Marshal Milroy fostered punishments beyond legal, moral and humane bounds. Many suspected spies and bushwackers were executed without a trial.
Go south a half block, turn left on Warren Street, go one block to Jackson Street, next to the Historic Harton House. Turn right and go one block to Decherd Street, cross over Jackson Street to the Tullahoma Fine Arts Center to the sign:
23. BAILLET HOME AND STUDIO Now the city's regional Fine Arts Center, sisters Jennie, Affa and Emma and their parents lived and worked here in the 1870's. All three girls were artists and the family operated a millinery store downtown. They watched much of what happened in Tullahoma during its prosperous years between 1875 and 1925.
Recross Jackson Street, see the sign at South Jackson Civic Center:
1. PUBLIC SQUARE This 13 acre site was laid out as the Public Square in the 1851 Town Plat for Tullahoma, intended as a park and town meeting area. Instead, the center of town followed the location of the depot built by the railroad. Tullahoma's first public school was built here in 1886, and the auditorium was added in 1922. It was saved by volunteers in 1979. The rebuilt Bussell-Ganoe log cabin is likely the oldest structure in the city, perhaps as early as 1850. It was moved here ftom South Atlantic Street.
Go south 3 blocks to C.D. Stamps Community Center and the sign:
24. DAVIDSON ACADEMY In 1898, a three-room school for Negro children was built here. Mayor W.J.Davidson donated $1000 for chairs in the 1920's, so the school was named for him. It grew and became a high school in 1935, and the last class graduated in 1964. Integration of all city schools was effected that fall. Professor C.D. Stamps was principal ftom 1924 to 1966, so the new community center built in 2000 is named for him. The old building was razed in 1998.
Go south 2 blocks to Waggoner Street. Turn right and go 3 blocks to Franklin Street. Go straight . across Franklin to Maplewood Avenue, go up and around the curve to the Maplewood Cemetery and the sign:
2. CONFEDERATE CEMETERY More than 400 Confederate soldiers of the Army of Tennessee were buried here in the first half of 1863, when that army was headquatered here. Most died of disease or of injuries sustained in the Battle of Murfteesbor at the end of 1862. The land was donated by Colonel Matt Martin of Tullahoma after that war. A private trust headed by Sons of Confederate Veterans members now maintains this area.
Go north to the point of beginning. You can go up Maplewood, go left at Franklin. Go past West Middle School and turn right, go 2 blocks to Jackson Street Then go left (north) to where you started.
B. NORTH LOOP
From the First Methodist parking lot and sign number 6, go left (north) along Jackson Street 5 blocks to Blackwell Street, then turn left and go one-half block to:
8. HANGING TREE In the first half of 1863, CSA General Braxton Bragg used a huge oak tree located at this high point on the Blackman farm to hang many of his own soldiers for violating his rules, especially for desertion. The Union Provost Marshal also used the tree for executions of bushwackers and other insurgents from mid 1863 until 1867. Local wholesale grocer Fletcher Smotherman built this fine brick home in the 1930's, and the tree stood until the late 1960's.
Go right down to Campbell Avenue, turn right and go one block to Wilson Avenue. Cross Wilson Avenue to the cemetery, then turn left and go two blocks to Big Springs Avenue and the Frazier McEwen Park and the start of the Rock Creek Greenway. Go into the park and see:
9. BIG SPRINGS In 1851, when Tullahoma was founded, friendly Indians were still living near this large spring. Camps of the Confederate Army of Tennessee were made here in 1863. Other developments here before this park and high school were a fairgrounds with a harness track, and a golf course. The spring water goes into Rock Creek, and on into Elk River and Tims Ford Lake.
Go back to Wilson Avenue and turn left to the main gate entry to the Oakwood Cemetery to the sign:
10. OAKWOOD CEMETERY This land was donated to the city for use as a cemetery in 1875 by J. E. Hogain, a son-in-law of one of Tullahoma's five founders, Dr. T.A. Anderson, a physician whose home was at Belmont. It is the burial site for many of Tullahoma's leading families since then. Those family names include Campbell, Davis, Aydelott, Eofl: Muse, Wilkins and Harton.
Cross Wilson Avenue, go back south along Jackson Street to the point of beginning.
C. EASTERN LOOP
From the First Methodist parking lot and sign number 6, go east across Jackson Street toward the downtown area along Lincoln Street. Go past the alley to the sign:
21. TOWN WELL A Tullahoma city well was located within Lincoln Street for several decades. It was dug in 1871 and filled in 1908. For many years it was covered by a two-story bandstand, and was a center of attraction for various downtown social events. This part of the street is still subject to sinking.
Go south and cross Lincoln Street to the entrance to the Veranda House to the sign:
20. LINCOLN HOTEL The Lincoln Hotel was one of Tullahoma's first structures, built in 1851 on this site by Mr. Pearson, a son-in-law of one of the city's five founders, General William Moore of Mulberry. The railroad opened in 1854, and the trains stopped and let its passengers out here each evening, as they did not run at night until Union possession in1863.
Go east a few yards to the corner at Atlantic Street, turn left and go north one-half block to three signs:
18. CAMP FORREST BOOM During World War II the city was a boom town, with up to 250,000 soldiers and others swarming stores, theaters and homes as troops trained at Camp Forrest before leaving for Europe. The boom was over in 1946, but many improvements had been made, including roads, water and sewer systems and an airport, named Northern Field. Senator McKellar from Memphis helped the city compete for the training camp location. The camp was named to honor Nathan Bedford Forrest, the famed Confederate Wizard of the Saddle.
19. AEDC DEDICATION President Harry Truman came here on June 25, 1951 to dedicate the Arnold Engineering Development Center, built to keep America's airpower supreme after World War II. It brought hundreds of new families to live and work here, and changed Tullahoma forever. John W. Harton, Jr., Dr. Jack Farrar, and Senator McKellar of Memphis led the effort to win the competition to be the site of this vital testing facitity for the Air Force.
17. GREAT FIRES Huge fires here in 1861, 1867, 1883, 1887 and 1896 caused downtown to be rebuilt several times. Business losses were immense, but the spirit of the people was unbroken. They rebuilt, and the city grew as a vacation spot and a hub for manufacturing and transportation. The growth was built by bright minds, strong wills, and the importance of the railroad.
Go north 2 blocks along Atlantic Street to the rear of the large white building and the sign:
11. DAVIS FAMILY HOMES This block contained three superb Victorian and Queen Anne homes built by Maclin Davis and his sons in the late 1800's. Maclin was a co-owner of Cascade Distillery, where George Dickel Distillery operates today near here. His son Ewin Davis was a congressman and national statesman, while Norman Davis was close to three presidents, and national chair of the Red Cross in World War II. Son Paul was president of a major Nashville bank, the American National Bank.
Go north 1.5 blocks and turn right on Hogan Street Cross the railroad and turn right (south) at the next comer, also called Atlantic Street Go south 1.5 blocks to the signs in ftont of the Victorian homes and the sign:
14. HOMES OF LEADERS Around 1880, two of these Victorian houses were built by the powerful and wealthy L.D. Hickerson as wedding presents for his daughters, who married two Raht brothers. Railroad executives George W. Hicks and Archibald Yell Smith built two of the homes here, and industrialist Ben Wilkins built his home to face the railroad as well.
Cross Atlantic to the railroad depot building and to two signs:
12. DEPOT BUILDING This is Tullahoma's third depot building, built in 1889, after fires destroyed the first two. The original brick depot was built in 1852 and burned in 1883. The Nashville and Chattanooga railroad opened for traffic in 1854. This passenger depot has been moved one block north of its original location, and during the busy days of World War II and Camp Forrest it was doubled in size. The city also had a freight depot on the other side of the tracks for many years, but it was razed by the railroad.
13. RAll..ROADING Because of its half-way location and its elevation at 1070 feet, the city was conceived, chartered and subdivided by five investors, starting as a labor and supply camp for the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad, the first in the state. Construction was started in Cowan in 1848 and the route was opened in 1854. The city saw all the famous locomotives of the L & N Railway for several decades. Passenger service ceased in 1971, but was critical to the town's success since 1851.
Recross Atlantic Street, turn right (south) and go 1.5 blocks to the front of the Sears store and the sign:
15. HEALTH RESORTS A number of large wooden hotels in the city and at springs nearby were built in the 1880's by investors to serve fumilies who came here, especially in the summer, to enjoy the healthy and healing air, climate and waters, and to avoid yellow fever. Families also built summer cottages here at that time. On this site stood the Hurricane Hotel and a pedestrian bridge over Grundy Street to the Park Hotel. F. Corzelius was a leading hotel operator here.
Go on south one block in front of the yard of the church to the sign:
23. TULLAHOMA PEOPLE Since 1851, Tullahoma's people have been uniquely visionary, hard-working, intelligent and motivated. They have made all the difference in what Tullahoma has been and will be as a great place to grow up, raise a family, retire or to visit. There is much diversity here, and it is a strength. Brainpower has counted a lot here, and it is our heritage and hope for the future. It takes good people create a good quality of life in a community.
Go south one-half block, cross Lincoln Street and turn left (east). Go east 4.5 blocks to the vacant land adjoining East Lincoln Elementary School to the sign:
16. COLLEGE SITE Several private colleges and academies occupied a grand three-story building that was built of Sewanee stone on this site in 1892, until it burned in 1922, including the Jessie Mae Aydelott College, the University of Middle Tennessee and the Fitzgerald & Clark Academy, which boasted legendary athletes and athletic teams ftom 1910 to 1922. It was significant that the city constructed the building to attract operators of private schools to Tullahoma.
Turn around and go west, retracing your steps along Lincoln Street to the downtown business district Return to the point of beginning."
FOR THE ORIGINAL TEXT PLUS OTHER INFO SEE: http://www.tullahoma.net/historical/trail.html
FROM A VERY KIND FEBRUARY 2006 LETTER FROM JACK JENNINGS TO ME RE THIS WEB SITE:
"Dr. Young--
I did get to the site and am fairly blown away now, and sharing it with others.  I did not understand the depth of your interest in local history.  Fantastic job, and I thank you! Jack"

MARJORIE COLLIER'S SELF-CONDUCTED WALKING TOUR OF TULLAHOMA

A SELF-CONDUCTED WALKING TOUR of Sites of Historical and/or Architectural Interest
Compiled by Historic Preservation Society of Tullahoma, Inc. for Tullahoma's Sesquicentennial October 4, 2002 Text by Marjorie Collier
"Tullahoma, chartered in 1852, was laid out by a Town Company along the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad line being built at this time. Completion of a branch line from Tullahoma to McMinnville in 1855 led to the town becoming an important railroad terminal with train crews and officials making it home. The name, Tullahoma, was formerly used by a town in lower Mississippi, the traditional home of the Choctaw Indian tribe, and is apparently derived from the Choctaw, "Tulla" meaning "rock" or "metal" and "homa' meaning "red."
Tullahoma was a major base for the contending forces during the Civil War. The Confederacy, under General Braxton Bragg, made the town a supply and medical base during the first six months of 1863. After that the railroad became the Union Army's lifeline and massive earthworks were erected to protect it. Today the earthworks are almost gone, but the Confederate Cemetery, containing 407 graves, remains to recall the Civil War period.
Tullahoma is twelve miles southwest of the Coffee County seat at Manchester and is midway between Nashville and Chattanooga. It is located on the Highland Rim 1070 feet above sea level and is on a ridge separating the Elk and Duck River watersheds. Its elevation, the railroad, and numerous springs in the area contributed to its fame as a health resort in the last decades of the 19th century. The water was also said to be a perfect base for alcoholic beverages and Tullahoma was a whiskey-making center in pre-prohibition days. Today the George Dickel Distillery stands near the site of the Cascade Distillery.
The city population had never been more than 4,000 until World War II when Camp Forrest, a major armed forces induction center, was located near here, causing the population to jump (temporarily) to 75,000. Garages were converted to apartments to ease the housing shortage and some may still be seen. In 1950 the U.S. Air Force established the Arnold Engineering Development Center, a major aerospace ground test facility, on the Camp Forrest site. With the coming of technicians, engineers, and scientist5for this and other new industries, the present population has reached about 18,000.
The railroad through here, now owned by CSX Transportation, provides no passenger service to Tullahoma today, but freight is humming with 100-150 car frains pulled by multiple diesel locomotives. The city is a moderately busy switching terminal.
The walking tour goes through the heart of the original town and while "progress" has lead to razing of some structures, there are enough remaining to give a feel for the town as it developed through the years. Park your car at the old school lot at the southwest corner of Jackson and Decherd Streets.
1. The tour starts at the l3-acre plot of land containing the old Tullahoma Public School Building. This plot had been designated for the city square in the original town plan with the depot to be located at the track a block away. However, due to the difficulty of stopping the trains with the hand-operated brakes of the day on the long grade, the depot was located further north on the ridge top between Lincoln and Grundy Streets and businesses located there. The Tullahoma Public School was built in 1886, and was rt:modeled in its present Classic Revival style in 1922. The building was saved from demolition in 1977 by a citizen group which organized, leased the property, and established the South Jackson Civic Center, where theatrical productions are now held. The building also contains the Mitchell Museum, open on Sunday afternoons.
2. Also on this lot is the Ganoe-Bussell log cabin, said to date 1850-75. It was moved from a site on So. Atlantic to its present location by the Historic Preservation Society of Tullahoma, and reconstructed. It contains period furnishings. Call 455-3534 for information.
3. The white building on this lot facing Jackson Street was moved from Camp Forrest after WWlI and now houses the American Red Cross regional offices.
4. Cross Jackson St. to the Baillet House at 401, which now houses the Fine Arts Center. The arched windows, low-hipped roof and flat deck on top, etc. characterize the Italianate style. It was built by Felix Baillet about 1879 and has had some modifications, including the building added at the right. Baillet's daughters, the Misses Jennie and Emma, ran a millinery shop on Atlantic St. for over 30 years and his son-inlaw ran the Lupher brickyard.
5. Continue east on Decherd St. to Atlantic and turn left. On the comer, at 324 So. Atlantic, is the Pelham, house, which probably dates before 1900. Its cross"shaped floor plan, busy roofline and surrounding porch with carpentry trim give it charm.
6. Carl Brown built the next house, at 322 So. Atlantic in 1932. Its bungalow style was common in the years 1915-40 and many examples may be seen on the tour. This example is one-story with two large gables at front, one covering a large porch. Porch columns tape narrower toward the top with exposed rafters and brackets supporting the roof. Houses on each side were given bungalow features when this house was built.
7. At the right may be seen a 1964 L&N caboose. It was purchased by the Historic Preservation Society for display and education to commemorate the significant part the railroad has played in Tullahoma's history. It is near the last location of the freight depot which stood at the comer at Warren St. from 1921 to 1969.
8. Cross the tracks at Warren St. Atlantic Street, laid out on both sides of the railroad track, is 385' wide from sidewalk to sidewalk and has been described as "the widest street in the world." Note "Sparta Branch" railroad tracks beginning here. Note Builders Supply on your right. This was the site of the George W. Steagal Planing and Sawmill Co., which built many houses 18871914.
9. Note the house at left at 211 So. Atlantic. Now used by Rose Cottage Antiques, the Steagal Company built it in 1892 for Robert H. Mitchell. It is basically a one-story Lshaped with porch tucked in comer. Many houses of this style were built around the turn of the 20th century and may be seen in town.
10. Continue east down Warren St. Note two houses on right. They typify a style -.... called "Cumberland" consisting of a onestory rectangular block, gabled at each end, with roofed porch across the front and two front doors side by side. These houses have been modified to one front door, although better examples may be seen elsewhere in town.
11. Mt. Zion Baptist Church, built in 1885 in a Gothic Revival style, is the oldest church building in town. The brick mason was Ross Williams, the brick came from Lupher's brickyard. Outstanding members included educators Mr. And Mrs. C. D. Stamps. Front stoop is an addition.
Continue north on Washington St. This block contains houses of various styles, some dating to 1910.
12. The house at left, 200 S. Washington, on the comer at Lauderdale St., was built around 1910 by George W. Finney for his family home. He and his twin brother, Robert Lee, were accomplished stone masons who had constructed St. Barnabas Church. G. W. Finney moved to TulIahoma so that his son, Claude, could attend school here. House is stucco over concrete blocks.
13. On the opposite comer, at 200 E.
Lauderdale St. is a house built by a master carpenter, John Anthony, circa 1902-1905. W.G. P. Carroll built it for his daughter, Mrs. K. D. Patterson. Its pyramidal roof and curving porch, now partialIy enclosed, typify an English influenced Neo-Jacobean style.
14. Looking east on Lauderdale, the next house at 204 E. Lauderdale is an attractive L-shape house with grillwork along the porch eaves. It was built by John Anthony for W.G. P. CarrolI about 1904.
15. The next house is the Havron-Grant house at 200 So. Polk St. It was built by newspaper publisher Tyre A. Havron about 1906. House is a two-story L-shape with en circling porch and originally it had clapboard siding. Tyre Havron's wife was Minnie Horton Cowan, daughter of Dr. James B. Cowan, chief surgeon with Nathan Bedford Forrest during the Civil War. Its present owners, Doug and Edna Grant, restored the house after 1982.
16. Continuing north on Washington St., St. Barnabas Church, 110 E. Lincoln St., may be seen on the corner at left. The church was built in' 1897 of Sewanee sandstone. The Gothic Revival style, its medieval inspiration seen in the pointed arch windows and buttresses, was the work of architect R. H. Hunt. A high tower, apparently originalIy planned, was never built. Building originalIy had a slate roof and interior plaster walIs. The bell dates from 1883 was instalIed in the first church building. Bricks on interior came from the Kimsey brickyard.
17. The block at right along Lincoln Street is one of the few blocks in town containing alI its original buildings. John Anthony built the first house, at 200 E. Lincoln, for the family ofW.G.P. CarrolI in 1904. CarrolI worked for the railroad. Neo-Jacobean style with pyramidal roof. Porch has been remodeled.
18. John Anthony built the next house, at 204 E. Lincoln, for the family of E. J. Patterson (father of K.D.) about 1904. This is a charming example of Queen Anne with a curving veranda and a pergola with a conical roof.
19. The house at 206 E. Lincoln presents a Gothic aspect with its three steep gables. Capt. W. S. Daniel, a carpenter, built it in the late 1800's.
20 and 21. The last two houses on the right at 210 and 212 E. Lincoln, are constructed of rockface concrete blocks, a novel building material at the time (about 1910) by E. F. Gibbs and a Mr. Finney. The house at 210 is a Colonial Revival style, typified by earlier historic features such as a gambrel roof, PaIladian windows, and porch columns.
22. Continue on Washington St. one block. At Grundy St., look to the left. The little gray, onestory L-shaped building with bay window (107 E. Grundy) recaIls the heyday of health resorts in TuIlahoma. It was used for supplemental housing by the Hurricane HaIl hotel which once stood beside it on Atlantic St. Salesmen or drummers who worked the towns along the railroad stayed there. Shown on an 1887 map.
23. Continue north one block to 215 N. Washington St. This house, built before 1897, was the home of Lytle David Hickerson and family. Hickerson was a builder and- first president of the McMinnville & Manchester Railroad and president in 1884 of the First National Bank. The house is L-shape and unique in that much carpentry trim remains. The beveled back waIls at left side with roof projecting above and ornamental gable shingles are typical of the period. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Mark Schempp.
24. Go west along Moore St. to 214 N. Atlantic St. The Smith-Hull home was built c. 1885 by Archibald YeIl Smith, station agent for the railroad from 1873 to 1913 and a director of First National Bank. The law offices of Tom Wiseman, former state legislator and now a federal judge, were here. The mansard roof with dormer windows, the arched windows, and the brackets at the eaves identify the architectural style as French Second Empire. The original porch on the front was removed when the property was acquired by Mrs. W. H. Wilson in 1930. The house was converted into apartments and present porches built. Now occupied by the law firm of Haynes, Hull & Smoot. This and most of the houses in the next two blocks are part of a National Register of Historic Places District.
25. The house at 302 N. Atlantic was built in 1907 by Steagall for Gordon D. Hicks, the superintendent of the Huntsville and Sparta Division of the N.C. & St. L. Rwy. from 1887 to 1940. The architect was Thomas S. Marr of Nashville. Mr. Hicks, a mayor, was prominent in many civic activities. Later owners included Mrs. Howell Dixon, who started the first kindergarten in town, and L. B. Jennings, former state legislator and TN Commissioner of Employment Security. The house is an impressive example of Classic Revival. Note Palladian windows in each of the three attic gables and the six fluted columns on the porch.
26. Notice depot building on Atlantic St. It was built in 1889 at a location one block south. Moved to its present location in 1941.
27 and 28. The houses at 308 and 312 N. Atlantic were built about 1891 by the Lytle D. Hickersons for their daughters, Alma and Minnie, who married brothers Julius D. and Frederick A. Raht. The Raht Bros. owned a flour miII and had other business interests. The houses are fine examples of the NeoJacobean style. The house at 308 has the beveledback wall at each side, elaborate grill trim on porch, leaded and stained glass windows. The house at g 312 features a second-story hooded double window. Front and side windows are made up of small 10 stained glass panes which surround a large pane. Leaded glass sidelights and fan window provide an unusually magnificent entrance-way.
29. The house at 400 N. Atlantic was built about 1900 by a Mr. McNutt, a bridge foreman for the N.C. & St. L. Rwy. The house is another excellent example of Neo-Jacobean with veranda sweeping around one side and pergola with conical roof. Ie The attic gable, ornamental shingles, porch trim, and pyramidal roof all contribute to the picturesque effect.
30. This two-story stucco, 406 N. Atlantic, c. 1920, is known as the Lamont Davis house because he and his family lived here many years, although it was built and owned by Capt. Benjamin H. Wilkins. Lamont Davis, an insurance agent, was a member of one of Tullahoma's most illustrious families.
31. Ben Wilkins' house at 408 N. Atlantic dates to 1905 when it was built by Capt. Wilkins, r- mayor in 1920-21. Capt. Wilkins established what k- is now known as the Tennessee Apparel Co. in 1903 and since 1906 the plant has been at its he present location directly across the street from his home. This became the home ofB. H. Wilkins, Jr. in 1942 after his father's death. The house has 10" thick concrete walls. Note roof ornaments.
32. The Campbell house at 412 N. Atlantic )f dates back to the 1890's and underwent some remodeling in 1964. Mrs. Bessie Campbell taught school here; Tom Campbell and family lived here during 1919-1963.
33. Thoma house at 500 N. Atlantic was remodeled in 1917, from a three-room "shotgun" house dating back before 1900, to its present style.
34. At Hogan St., cross tracks to west side of n Atlantic. The Tennessee Apparel Corp. first -N located on this site in 1906 when the present building was built. The front fa~ade has been added and other modifications made. The firm has made Bullseye overalls and work the pants as well as coveralls and military clothing.
35. Continue to Grundy St. where old post office building is located. It was built in 1927, remodeled in 1941 and 1963.
"ALTERNATE TOUR ROUTE BEGINS AT THIS POINT (RLY Note: The starting point is at the old post office on the northwest corner of the intersection of Grundy and Atlantic Streets)
The next block, bounded by Atlantic, Grundy, Jackson, and Lincoln, is the old downtown business block and either route will lead to the diagonally opposite corner. Prime (') numbers will designate alternate route.
36. Continue south on Atlantic St. While many of the original 1880-1900 buildings remain, most facades have been altered (in common with a nation-wide trend after WWII) so that only vestiges may be seen. The building containing Daddy Billy's and Couch's was built after the fire of 1896 and was remodelled in 1975. The Couch firm was established in 1894.
37. The "Lincoln lot" on the comer was conveyed by the Town Co. in 1852 to Gen. Wm. Moore, one of the town founders, for building "a house in the woods making a commencement of a town." A saloon was here in preprohibition days, ownership transferring from F. T. Burrow to F. 1. Davis in 1882. Building, now remodelled, dates after 1883 when fire destroyed the frame downtown buildings. Taylor Pharmacy was here for many years. City street numbers start at this comer.
38. The Clayton Shoe Store building dates to 1888. Firm has been in business here since 1910; family business dates to 1887. Rejoin other tour route at corner of Lincoln and Jackson Streets. 36' Go west on Grundy Street to First Christian Church at comer. Building was built in 1887 in a Romanesque revival style as indicated by the square tower, arched windows, and corbel tables at eaves. The vestibule in front was added in 1971.
37' Continue west and note Squad One building at comer of Jackson and Grundy Streets. It was built in 1943 in an Art Modeme style characterizeded by its smooth wall finish, flat roof, rounded comers and "wind tunnel" look. It was an American (Amoco) Service Station many years. (RLY Note: Absent consultation   with the Tullahoma Historical Society, this building was razed by the city government in 2002.)
38' City Hall building across Grundy from Squad One was built in 1952 and originally housed the Tullahoma Utilities Board as well as City Hall.
Rejoin other route at next corner. Stay on right (west) side of Jackson and continue south. Many residences along Jackson have been replaced by commercial establishments.
39. At southwest comer of Jackson and Lincoln Street is the Masonic building. The building was built about 1903 by a Miss Mary McCrea (later Mrs. Hastings) who ran a Boarding House here. The Masonic Lodge acquired the building in 1919. The Lodge remodeled it in 1931, adding 20 feet on the south side. The architect was George D. Waller. Today it retains much of the 1931 appearance with the exception of the covered-over windows and a replacement sign.
40. The First United Methodist Church building at the Lauderdale comer is the last of the four "old" Tullahoma churches on the tour. The building was begun in 1889 and additions were made in 1916, 1949, and 1955. Its imposing Gothic Revival style is seen in its two towers with pyramidal roofs, pointed windows, buttresses and battlements. Note terra cotta tiles and brickwork on large tower. Sanctuary interior contains English hammer beams. Electric carillon was given in 1946.
41. The house at 216 So. Jackson is a very fine example of the bungalow style. It illustrates the Arts and Craft movement with its battered and tapering porch piers, its gables and roof brackets, and porch at front. The dark finished shingles, variegated brick, and contrasting trim contribute to the effect. The house was built by John V. Wilson in 1917 and acquired by the Crouch family (Hubert, H. A. Jr., and Allan) in 1923.
42. The house at 300 So. Jackson was begun after 1871 when the lot was acquired at public auction by Freeman T. Burrow. It was doubled in size between 1913 and 1916 when it was owned by T. K. Williams. The John Harton family acquired it in 1916 and remodelled it to its present Greek Revival style by 1947. The Harton family donated the house to the Historic Preservation Society of Tullahoma in 1993 and it is now used for office and meeting space.
43. House at 403 So. Jackson was built for Mr. and Mrs. James Clayton about 1910 by John Anthony. Leaded glass windows and attractive porch trim add to its appeal.
44. The house at 320 So. Jackson, originally consisting of four rooms, was acquired by W. J. Couch about 1889. Mayor R. L. Robertson acquired it in 1919. It was enlarged and remodelled into its present bungalow style by Roscoe C. Ledford in 1922.
RLY Note, What a magnificent job Marjorie Collier has done in gathering all this historic material. She and the Tullahoma Historic Preservation Society have made a marvelous contribution to the understanding of our town and its heritage. Marjorie tells me that most of the info on the houses was obtained several years ago by looking at deeds at the Coffee County Court House in Manchester.

1929 HISTORY OF TULLAHOMA BY MAYOR W. J. DAVIDSON

TULLAHOMA is the only town in the United States bearing a name not applied to any other place, thing or personr and the name being a singular one it may be of interest to those familiar with the town to learn when and by whom the name was applied to this little city. The site upon which Tullahoma is built and for many miles adjacent was originally owned by Benj. Decherd, Dr. T. A. Anderson, Pierce B. Anderson, Volney S. Stevenson, and William Moore, the most of these men, having immigrated to tlis seclon from Eastt Tennessee about 1848, men prominent in their day and being among the first peopIe to settle in this immediate vicinity en February 8, 1850, these men entered into an agreement to found the town of Tullahoma and Pierce B. Anderson, of Civil and Mexican War fame and one of the owners of the land was engaged to survey and map out the territory for the town site. Other emigrants, mostly from Jonesboro, Tennessee, were gradually moving into this section of the State, and Tullahoma was becoming quite a little village, and up to this time was without a name.



About the time the town site was surveyed, John C. McLemore of Memphis, Tennessee, made a visit here to one of his old friends, Dr. T. A. Anderson, and in discussing a name for the town he proposed the Indian words "Tulla Homa" meaning red dirt, as a name for the little village. The peculiar yellow or red color of the soil suggested the name, and this name was adopted and the town has since been known as Tullahoma. The above plain statement of facts contradicts the many beautiful allegories that have been written about the name of the town, in which pretty Indian maidens bore a conspicuous part, but the facts were related to the writer twenty. five years ago by the late Honorable L B. Morgan, a son-in-law of Dr. Anderson, and who was living here when the town was named.


The Nashville, Chattanooga &: St. Louis Railway was completed through Tullahoma in 1855, and the village had then become quite a trading center, . there being a number of stores and anInn here. . In 1866 the town boasted of nine stores, a livery stable and a hotel. The first newspaper was published in Tulhoma in 1868, by the late Geo. W. Davidson, Jas. G. Aydelott, and M. R Campbell the direct descendants of these men being among the few who are now living here whose parents were residents of the town immediutely after the Civil War. The paper was a small weekly, and was called "The Appalachian," and was edited by Geo. W. Davidson. Several copies of the paper are .still preserved by the writer, who is , son of the editor.

Tullahoma is a. beautiful little city with its extraordinary broad . streets, and myriad shade trees, and is best known for its wonderful shade and splendid water. The town is clean and well drained. It is 1,070 feet above sea level, giving cool nights during the hottest summer weather. Tullahoma is furnished water from deep wells with a pumping capacity of about one million gallons per day. This water is analyzed every thirty days by the State Board of Health and invariably is endorsed as good water. Typhoid and malaria are unknown in Tullahoma.


It has always been known as a delightful place to spend the summer, owing to its cool nights and splendid water. At one time Tullahoma was the best known summer resort in Tennesaee, and hundreds of guests spent the summer here, there being at that time hotels at Pylant Springs and Miller Springs, both within five miles of' the city, as well as the hotels in town.

Among its recreations the city has a modern nine-hole golf course, and an enthusiastic Golf Club membership. The golf course is owned and furnished to the Golf Club free by Captain B. H. Wilkins, Tullahoma's benefactor and best known citizen.

Ovoca, the State home of the Knights of Pythlas, is located near Tullahoma! and provides excellent swimming and fishing facilities in lake Calanthe, and also courts for tennis and volley ball. Located on these grounds is the famous Cascade Falls, one of the natural beauty spots of the State. Lake Tullahoma, Inc. a new project under way, when completed, will be one of the finest summer resorts in the South.

Camp Peay, training grounds for the Tennessee National Guard, is located on a 1,000- acre tract of land within one mile of the city, furnished 6y the N., C. & St. L Ry.

Tullahoma bas three scbools, the Tullahoma High School, a modern $75,000.00 school building, and the Grammar School located on a beautiful twelve-acre campus, and Davidson's Academy, a negro Grammar and High School.

Tullaboma has excellent banking facilities, with three substantial banks with plenty of capital to finance every clean businesa and willing to co-operate with all industries on a businesa basis. No town in the South offers more inducements to manufacturers than does Tullahoma. Tullahoma offers everything. that any other town has and many things other towns do not have. We have well established freight rates to all points and bave many desirable sites for factories and warehouses along the railroad fronts, affording excellent shipping facilities. All industry is operated on the open shop basis with a good supply of highest class native labor, both male and female, at a living wage.

Tullahoma boasts of one of the finest musical aggregations in the South, a band composed of thirty-six instruments, organized by the local American Legion Post and equipped by the United States Army. It is one of the three such bands maintained by the Army in the United States. .

Tullahoma has eight churches Christian, M. E. Church; M. E. Church, South; Church of Christ; Episcopal Church; Baptist Church; Presbyteria Church, Cumberland Presbyterian Church, as well as six negro churches. Tullahoma has a free public library organized and maintained by the Business and Professional Women's Club, the library being well equipped and conducted in the club's own library building.

Ovoca, the Knights of pythias Home, has become a well known convention center for churches and Sunday schools. Ten conventions have made arrangements to hold their conventions at Ovoca this summer.

When the State decided to erect the Tennessee Vocational School for Girls, Tullahoma was selected as the most suitable location for this institution, and a large tract of land was selected for the main beautiful limestone buildings erected just outside of the town.

Tullahoma boasts of one of the best hotels any small town afords, this being the King hotel near the heart of the city. The Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway has an office building here which is headquarters for the officials of the Huntsville division of the road, and the road also has yards and shops here repairing the engines and cars used on this division.

The first manufacturing plant of any kind was established here about 1870 by the late M. R. Campbell, this being a hub and spoke factory. This manufacturing concern is still in business here and has grown into the most important industry of the city, operating at present in Tullahoma two large manufacturing plants. This concern is now known as the M. R. Campbell, Inc., and is owned and operated by the sons of the founder. The Campbell interests employ about two hundred men in the factories. The factories are woodworking plants and make more than a hundred various articles in the way of hubs, spokes, golf sticks, base ball bats, hockey sticks; etc., but the chief output of the factories are golf sticks and base ball bats. One of the factories manufacture automobile parts, buggy shafts and hardwood flooring. The town now boasts of around four thousand inhabitants and has a number of manufacturing plants upon which it depends for its prosperity more than it does upon farming interests.

Among the successful concerns operated here is the 'fennessee Overall Company, owned and operated by Capt. B. H. Wilkins, and which has been a success from the beginning. About one hundred people are employed in this factory. Another successful concern is the-Middle Tennessee Milling Company, manufacturers of high-grade flour, operated by R. L. Robertson and brothers. This is one of the few flour mills that run night and day, but this mill has a record of never closing except on Sunday. The output is sold in the Southern states.

The Lannom Manufacturing Company, manufacturers of all kinds of base balls ie from the major league balls to the cheap balls, as well as hand balls and volley balls. This is one of the leading industries of the city. This plant is now preparing to erect a modern brick factory building, the contract having been let to a Nashville contractor. The Lannom Manufacturing Company ships balls to all points in the United States and has quite an extensive trade in Cuba and have made car load shipments at various times.

Among the important concerns here are the Tullahoma Lumber Company, the Upstairs Cabinet Company, the Tullahoma Cabinet Company, Campbell Lumber Company, McDowell Lumber Company, Builders Supply Company, Inc., and the Tennessee! Glove Company, manufacturers of cloth and leather gloves; the latter have contracts to keep their machines going throughout the next six months.

Other industries are the Tullahoma Co-operative Creamery, Tullahoma Ice Factory, Banner Ice Cream Company, and also two wholesale grocery concerns, they being theSmotherman-Henderson, Womack Company' and the J. M. Garney Wholesale Company.

Tullahoma has a modern post office building located near the N., C. & St. L. railway station. Until about eighteen years ago around Tullahoma was thought to be worthless for farming purposes and could be bought for practically nothing, but it was found that the land could be made very productive by the use of lime and turning under cover crops and many splendid farms now surround the town. Tobacco is one of the chief crops and many farmers have made as much as $250.00 per acre by growing it. The man who first started growing tobacco around Tullahoma was Doak Aydelott, and the town is deeply indebted to him for the time and money he spent encouraging the growth of the weed in this county. Mr. Aydelott brought many families here frem the Dark Tobacco District at his own expense and kept them on his farms until be got the farmers started to growing tobacco.

Mr. John W. Harton has also promoted the town in many respects and has had much to do with -the growth of farming interests. The town has never had a boom, but has experienced a normal .. growth during the past fifteen years.

A sketch of Tullahoma would be incomplete without mention of the water and light plant, municipally owned and the pride industry of the city. Basing its valuation upon its net earnings at 6 per cent, the plant has a valuation of around $700,000, but could not be purchased for that amount in cash, as it is too profitable to the taxpayers to be disposed of. The original investment was $35,000, all additional extensi( and growth having been made from profits of operation of the :plant. The growth of the plant and increase in revenue during the last five years, under the supermtendency of Capt. Sam Cook, have proven the great benefits that can be derived from a well managed municipal water and light plant. . Both flat rates and meter rates will compete with any in the state.

Among her native-born sons of whom the citizens are proud are Hon. Ewin L. Davis, congressman from this district; Paul M. Davis, of Nashville, and Hon. Norman H. Davis of New York, and James M. Cowan, connoisseuer and collector of fine arts of Chicago, and many others who were born and reared here and who have made good in the big cities.

Tullahoma is called the "Queen City of the Highland Rim" and "The Hub of Four Counties," owing to its altitude and its location with respect to adjoining counties and is the highest point between Nashville and Chattanooga.

W. J. David.on
Truly a friend of the people is W. J. Davidson, now serving his third term as mayor of Tullahoma. Day in and day out no one has given more service to his town, always ready to consider any request from the civic bodies, the soldier boys or the humblest citizen giving to them freely of his time and labor. Of kind and sympathetic nature, he listens to and lends assistance to the citizen in trouble, sorrow or distress. As a native son, he loves Tullahoma, is proud of its progress and advancement. He has for years been a conscientious and earnest member of the Coffee county court, of efficient service as U. S. Commissioner and is now local representative for the weather bureau of the government. Mr. Davidson is a vestryman of St. Barnabas Protestant Efiscopal Church and is a most faithful and loyal churchman.

John W. Harton
Tullahoma realtor, land developer, and premier booster, Mr. Harton is one of Tullahoma's outstanding citizens. He is a former mayor of the city, an- expresident of the Tullahoma Rotary Club, and is always found on the firing line when the welfare of this city is at stake. He is deeply interested ,in all matters pertaining to the welfare of the Tullahoma territory, whether it be industrial, commercial or agricultural. He is president of the Monteagle Development Company, and promoter of the Lake Tullahoma project. Recently he was honored with the election as secretary-treasurer of the Tennessee Hotel Association.

Mr. Polk Ross
Mr. Ross is one of the outstanding men in the community and a most ardent worker in all civic undertakings, being a member of the Rotary Club, Parent-Teachers Association, Chamber of Commerce and secretary of the State Press Association.

W. J. Sanders
W. J. Sanders, Jr., is one of Tullahoma's five state organization officers. Mr. Sanders is president- of the Tennessee Retail Lumber, Millwork and Supply Dealers Association. He has served as a director in this association for the past two years, and has been active in Its affairs since its organization. Mr. Sanders is treasurer of the Builders Supply Company, Inc., Tullahoma, Tenn.

G. W. Steagall
Tullahoma is justly proud of its native son, G. W. Steagall, the present commander of The American Legion Department of Tennessee, having been elected at the 1928 convention. Since the organization of the Department 01 Tennessee in 1928, Commander Steagal has been one of the most active Legion naires in promoting the welfare of tht Legion. He is a charter. member 0: Memorial 39, Post No. 43 of Tu:Ia. homa, and served as ita Commandel during the years of 1921-1922-1923 He has also served the State Department in the following capacities: Statt Committeeman, Fifth District, 192~ and 1928; Vice-Commander of Middlt Tennessee in 1924, and Department Commander in 1929. Commander Steagall has attended thE following National Conventions of thE American Legion as a delegate: New Orleans, La. ; San Francisco, Cat; St. Paul, Minn.; Omaha, Nebr.; Philadelphia, Pa.: San Antonio, Texas. Represented the American Legion of Tennessee at Winston-Salem, North Carolina, the 1924 Convention of the South. eastern Departments of the American Legion. Graduating from the First Officers' Training Camp at Fort Oglethorpe. Georgia, in 1917, was commissioned 8 Secolld Lieutenant of Infantry. Overseas from August, 1918, to July, 1919. Participated in the Meuse-Argonne offense. Was discharged July 14, 1919. as a .First Lieutenant of Infantry, and now holds a commission as First Lieutenant, 823rd Infantry Organized Reserves.

TULLAHOMA PERSONAGES IN RECENT PICTORIAL REVIEWS Statesman-Soldier-Fiddler-Hog Caller
Norman H. Davia, of Tullahoma, president of the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Foundation, presenting to Colonel Lindbergh the Woodrow Wilson Peace Award, at dinner given at the Hotel Astor.

Corporal Henry Cardwell, of Tullahoma, Company D., 117th Infantry at Ballou, Sarthe, France, Jan. 22, 1919, being decorated by General Pershing. Corporal Cardwell and his buddy, Carl Lee, of Osage, Iowa, who was also decorated at the same time, had captured 12 German soldiers and 3 machine guns.

Bunt Stephens, of Tullahoma, winner of the Henry Ford contest for the best old-time country fiddler in the United States.


Carl Penn, undefeated "hog-calling" champion.Penn was the first prizewinner in the United States, for "hog calling" contests, that have since become country-wide. was started by the secretary of the Tullahoma fair,

Davidson Park
The eighth wonder of the world to the writer of this brief sketch is Davidson Park, a reclaimed plot of ground eighty by three hundred and twenty feet, fronting the passenger station and the business section of Tullahoma on Atlantic street. The removal of the freight depot and switch tracks, which made this park possible, was due largely to the intense interest and effort of Mayor W. J. Davidson, who enjoyed the hearty co-operation of all of the railroad officials. At all seasons of the year this park is attractive and especially so durin~ .blossoming springtime. It is regretted that the picture cannot give the beauty in detail, the restfulness of green and fresh fragrance of the flowers. It was a happy thought of both citizens of Tullahoma and of railroad officers to dedicate this park in honor of Mayor Davidson, for he is an active son, who makes it a labor of love to work for the beautification of Tullahoma, and when funds are not available does not hesitate to go deeply into his own pockets.

Through the loyal help of Sam Cook, superintendent of the city light and water plants, two blocks south of the Davidson Park have been made attractive, part of the block north, and in time the entire two-mile stretch of Atlantic street and railroad right-a-way will be parked and beautified' with grass, flowers and shrubs.

The Dairy Industry Around Tullahoma
Tullahoma. has a wonderful opportunity for a large dairy industry. It is surrounded by a territory which will grow good pasture of Lespedeza and grass, and has unlimited supply of pure freestone water. The climate is mild for the winter months, affording practically year-round open grazing.
The Tullahoma Co-operative Creamery will. average over 16,000 pounds of butter per month during the year and serves the farmers within a radius of 16 miles of Tullahoina. It operates 12 cream stations, and a large number of farmers bring their own cream to the plant. The month of April was one of. the best months in the history of the creamery and a number of new patrons have been added to the list. The quality of the butter is shown by the fact that the creamery won first prize at the State Fair at Nashville and third prize at the National Dairy Show at Memphis last year.
Quite a number of farmers are selling whole milk to the Carnation plant at Manchester and Murfreesboro and to the plants of the Borden Milk Co. at Shelbyville and Fayetteville. Regularly operated milk routes make delivery easy for the producers. There is another Co-operative Creamery at Winchester, which draws some patronage from this territory, as well as a whole milk station at Bell Buckle and a number of other cream stations. A cow census made by the Tullahoma Rotary Club showed about 9,000 cows within a 15-mile radius of Tullahoma with prospects of more cows being added very soon. The milk received by the Carnation Company from Coffee county runs at a uniform test, and shows a low fluctuation between summer and winter months.

Coffee County
C0FFEE COUNTY has an area of 448 square miles, and a population ot 18,000. It is located at the foothills of the Cumberland mountain range on the eastern Highland Rim. Agriculture is the principal industry, much attention being given to dairying, tobacco and cotton, as well as the usual grain and hay crops. Coffee county corn won first prize at the St. Louis World's Fair.
Manufacturers include a large variety of wood products, baseballs, gloves, wearing apparel, etc., and one of the highest grade lime plants in the South is located in the county. The lime, manufactured at Summitville, is largely used In the sugar refineries of Louisiana and Cuba, and the water supply of the city of New Orleans Is purified with Coffee county lime.
The main route of the Dixie highway, from Chicago to Miami, runs through Coffee County, and the new projected national highway from Washington to New Orleanl will also run through the county, touching Tullahoma, Manchester and Summitville. The county has 60 miles of hard-surfaced state highways, and the county highway commission is now planning the construction of several additional miles of highway in the county. The county offers unusual opportunities for dairying, tobacco growing, cotton raising, truck farming, and other agricultural pursuits. The truck farmer will find two large cities within, only two or three hours drive from Coffee county; the dairyman and cotton raiser will find good markets for their product within the county and the nine railroad stations in the county insure easy accessibility to any other markets desired.
During recent years, much attention has been given to the growing of sweet potatoes, and this crop haa proven very profitable. A curing plant for this crop is located at Manchester.

Principal towns in the county are Tullahoma with a 3,500 population; Manchester with 2,000, and Summitville with 750. All of these towns are served by the N., C. & St. L. Railway.

Aviation Field
Tullahoma is one of the few, if not the only, city of its size that can boast of a flying field with electric lights and water, including fire protection, telephone service, and twenty-four-hour paid attendant service. The field is now under construction and will be completed within sixty days from the time this goes to press. The field is located just one mile from Tullahoma, on a state road, and embodies thirty-five acres of effective landing area, with three hundred-foot approaches on three sides. Drainage tile has been laid in the low places, assuring pilots of safe landings in all kinds of weather.

A co-operative weather bureau is maintained at the City Hall. with telephone service to the field for purpose of giving pilots the weather forecasts, which is so necessary in this method of modern travel.

Cburches.
Tullahoma is .splendidly represented by many denominations with as good Christian people as could be found anywhere upon. the earth. . The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, is having plans made for a $25,000 additional improvement. A fund is being created for the building of a community hospital on the property of the St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, and it is reported that the First Chr tian Church may this year erect a handsome annex upon the lot recently purchased.

Tullaboma as Inspiration
During the Civil War, Bragg's army . dropped back from Murfreesboro to Tullahoma and remained during the winter, constructing Fort Raine, digging of rifle trenches, railroad block houses and the felling of trees, cut high from the ground and limbs sharpened, forming almost an impenetrable rampart. So well were the fortification established and physical improvement of men noted, that the wily Rosecrans disobeyed orders to attact Bragg at Tullahoma, but by flank movement preceeded to Chattanooga.

At the time, Tullahoma was known in army movements as "Braggs Clearing" and as a friendly wag has said that ever since it has been "Clearly Bragging."

From the N. C. & ST. L. RY. NEWS ITEM Volume XI, No 5 May 15, 1929 as printed in the Tullahoma Time-Table October 1985 Edited by Angela B. Arnold and provided to me by Marjorie Collier. Proeceding is the first 4 pages of this 20 page article.

RLY Note ---- The optimism and devotion of Mayor Davidson is noteworthy. Such feelings by many of Tullahoma's leading citizens have resulted in the fine community we enjoy today.

THANKS FOR VISITING THIS WEB PAGE

For a very comprehensive history of our Tullahoma, go to the following URL:

http://www.thsclassof1974.com/tullahoma.htm

to find some of the contents of the Tullahoma News 150th Anniversary issue.


previous page
Powered by MSN TV