But in addition I was not certain I would be staying at Northwestern and I resisted making long term commitments. I had a very interesting job, did valuable work for the department and the University yet I, to some extent, was still regarded as a student rather than a faculty colleague.

So in 1956, I wrote Norm Parker Head of ME at the University of Illinois Urbana about a position in his department. Subsequently I visited his department and he offered me a 9 month job at a salary and rank no greater than I had at NU. The only bright spot was a Chinese heat transfer professor Hand who I knew by reputation and who encouraged me to join the faculty and work with him in research and book writing. On the other hand, I was not sure I wanted to be that close to my farm home and chances for summer employment there were much less than in the Chicago area.

I also interviewed at Michigan State and Wisconsin. At Michigan State, Dean Ryder ran the engineering college like a fiefdom and offers from them were no better if equal to my situation at Northwestern. Phyllis, Ronnie and I went to Pine Point Lodge in Ely, Minnesota with the folks in the summer of 1956 and the ME Department Head at Michigan State called me there to ask if I was interested in the job in his department and I told him no to end that opportunity. The people at Wisconsin wanted me to commute to Milwaukee and teach a heat transfer course there. I did not wsh to take the time to do that although with the trains it wouldhave been possible.

In the spring of 1956 Nathan W. Dougherty, Dean of Engineering at The University of Tennessee and boss of my former Northwestern Colleagues Joel Bailey and Pete Pasqua called to see if I would be interested in joining UT to start and run a graduate program in Tullahoma for he U. S. Air Forces Arnold Engineering Development Center. He asked if I was coming to the ASEE meeting at Iowa State in June. To his disappointment, I told him I could not come to the meeting because of my teaching schedule and I was not interested iin a move at that time.

Joel Bailey started the UT/AEDC Graduate Study Program in the fall of 1956.. Joel Bailey had been my professor at Northwestern, He got his PhD degree from Lehigh and the he became Head of ME at UT. Joel had suggested me to Dean Dougherty. When the AEDC program developed, Dean Dougherty asked Joel and Pete to ensider moving to Tullahoma to start the program. Joel and Pete agreed to tell Dean Dougherty that either would be willing to go and that he should make the selection. Joel thought that the Dean would choose Pete because Joel was Department Head and Pete thought the Dean would choose Joel because he had department head experience.

Dean Dougherty chose Joel because of experience and Joel on short notice moved his wife and two school age children to Tullahoma in late August 1956. Joel hired Virginiia Richardson as secretary and Dr. Bruton of Sewanee as math teaher. AEDC had predicted more than 100 students would enroll for graduate study while Joel had predicted less than 20. At Fall quarter registration some 35 students registered for either math taught by Dr. Bruton or an engineering course taught by Joel. Later Joel hired Leith Potter to teach an aerodynamics course on a part-time basis. Based on their initial surveys, AEDC had decided that graduate study in Electrical Engineering was not needed. The EE types at AEDC petitioned and Joel hired Dr. Matrtin Grabau PhD in Physics from Harvard to teach EE courses.

Joel enjoyed Tullahoma and got the UT -AEDC Graduate Studay Program off to a great start but after a year he wanted to return to UTK and his home in Alcoa. During his absence Pete Pasqua had served very well as Interim Department Head but the new Dean Granger wanted to start an undergraduate program in Nuclear Engineering and he had Pete in mind to be Department Head of the new program. With Pete leaving, Joel had a faculty position open in his department and then there was the AEDC job.

So in March 1956, Joel asked me to visit his department in Knoxville. Phyllis, Ronnie and I got in our big green 1950 Pontiac and headed for Knoxville and Pete's home in Alcoa. I visited Joel's Department in old Estrabrook Hall and enjoyed the people but noted that the departmental housing and laboratories were in very bad condition. I had a nice talk with Dean of Engineering Granger a big friendly Texan.

Joel took us out fishing just below Norris Dam, a beautiful spring day with a lot of striped bass caught. Joel told me that he would be pleased to have me on the faculty at Knoxville or at AEDC Tullahoma. I had to get back to my job at Northwestern so did not have time to go to Tullahoma.

In early April I drove down Cicero Avenue (very rough) to Midaway and flew in a DC3 to Nashville Tennessee where Joel Bailey met me to take me to his house and the next morning to AEDC. It was a very pleasant evening and Joel grilled steaks outside for dinner. He drove me around Tullahoma some which was a small town rapidly expanding becaise of AEDC.

Next day we went to AEDC where I met Virginia Richardson, Victor Mizell the math professor, Martin Grabau who taught EE part time and Leith Potter who taught aero part time. All were very pleasant and had high hopes for the graduate program. I also met the AEDC Commander General Troop Miller and the ARO Managing Director John Wild They also expressed their strong support for the UT AEDC Program.

Joel told me later that John Wild questioned whether or not I had enough experience to run the program. There was one other candidate suggested by ARO but Joel felt that he would not be acceptable to UT. Joel assured John Wild that I could run the effort. John became a very good friend later and much to his pleasure and our benefit I got him involved later as an AIAA-ABET Aerospace Engineerin accreditation visitor.

I also visited some of the AEDC facilities and spent quite a bit of time with Bob Perry who was in charge of the hotshot facility. The hotshot facility was a shock tunnel driven by an electrocal discgarge in a nitrogen filled chamber. For a short time supersonic or hypersonic speeds were obtained in the test section with veyr high instantaneeous temperatures. Perry showed me pictures od the test section flow about a reentry cone and claimed that the bright glow was caused by the temperatures being so high that the nitrogen glowed. I knew that nitrogen was not a strong emitter and would require extremely high temperatures to glow. Later they found that most of the glow was from liquid copper particles spalled off of the electric discharge chamber and temperatures and speeeds were less than anticipated. Still the tunnel was quite useful in the development of reentry nose cones. I also talked to ARO employee Clark Lewos who was designing a wind tunnel to simulate reentry conditions and was usin Joel Bailey as consultant on heat ttansfer and fluid flow aspects

Through Dean Granger, Joel made me an offer as Assocoiate Professor of Mechanical Engineering in his department at either Knoxvile or AEDC. At AEDC, I would be on a 12 month appointment at 12,000 dollars per year. Joel would stay at AEDC until December 1957 when he would go back to Knoxville and I would be in charge of the AEDC program. In the positiopn, I was to report to Dean Granger. In Knoxvi;lle, I would be on a nine month appointment at about 9000 dollars for 9 months.If I went to AEDC the USAF would pay my moving expenses. After discussing it with Phyllis, we decided to accept the AEDC opportubity. I liked the opportunity to do research, the twelve month appointment, the small town and the fact that I would not be dominated by Joel and Pete. So I accepted in April 1957 with a reporting date of September 1, 1957. Thanks to the kindness of the ME faculty, I taught kinematics for extra pay for the summer.

Phyllis and I wanted another child and wonders upon wonders she was found to be pregnant in June. She valued highly the Evanston Hospital where Ronnie was born and her Doctor for Ronnie. So she with a lot of courage said let us go ahead and move to TuUahoma. Had she not been so courageous, I would have called Joel Bailey, apologized and said we could not come to Tullahoma because of the condition of Phyllis.
But we did sell the house for a little profit, I finished paying the folks back what l owed them for the house and about September 1 we left for Neoga then to Tullahoma. During our last days in Evanston, the faculty gave a nice party for us at Professor Obert's hoiuse. They gave us a fine clock and a Northwestern ashtray. Just before I left, Professor Jennings gave me papers to show that I had been promoted to Associate Professor of ME. And he insisted that I take a year's leave rather than simply resigning.
We found that moving was quite trying. We had everything ready for the day Mayflower said they would be there but they did not come until three days later. Joel Bailey had rented me a house on Stone Boulevard built and owned by a Captain Simeon Pate who had recently been transferred from AEDC. Joel helped the movers move my stuff in. I had so much golfing and fishing equipment that Joel wondered if he had hired an engineer or an athelete. We arrived at that house late on a September afternoon and Joel took me to AEDC to work the next day.

previous page
Powered by MSN TV
next page